8th Annual Christmas Bird Count for Kids
This is a FREE EVENT
Suggested $10.00 donation
In honor and memory of Richard Stallcup, a mentor to generations of birders, Point Reyes National Seashore Association (PRNSA) in collaboration with the National Park Service and Sonoma Birding invite families with children ages 3-18 to the 8th annual Point Reyes Christmas Bird Count for Kids (CBC4Kids) on Sunday, January 7, 2018 at Point Reyes National Seashore's Red Barn Classroom. Gather your fledglings for this celebration of nature, parks, education and outdoor family fun. The event brings together all the basic elements of birding to introduce the next generation of stewards to the importance of birds in the ecosystem and the annual tradition of bird counts. The park is an ideal location for birding with 490 bird species or 54% of all North American birds recorded here, which also make it a perfect outdoor classroom for you and your brood to learn more about the fascinating world of birds. Naturalists will lead groups into a number of field locations to identify and count birds.
Schedule for the day:
- 9:45 am Check-in at the Red Barn
- 10:00 am Group Welcome and Safety
- 10:20 am Let’s Go Birding!
- 12:00 pm Teams Regroup at the Red Barn - Bring a picnic lunch for you and your family
- 1:00 pm Sonoma Bird Rescue Center Presentation
- 2:00 pm Tabulation Celebration- Start Team Presentations
- 3:00 pm Goodbyes
- Registration is first-come, first served. Choose from available hikes.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult or guardian. Due to limited space, we ask to please bring ONLY one parent per family or per group.
- Parents OR guardians must include themselves in the total # of participants.
- Please list parent and children names in the attendees drop down.
-This is a zero-waste event.
- If this event is rained out, we plan to reschedule the event for Sunday, January 21st, 2018
Budding Birders (ages 3-6): The youngest participants are invited to join our Budding Birders group with a range of activities and a bird discovery walk around the education center. There will only be one hike option for this age group. If a Budding Birder has a sibling who is in attendance they can join them.
Young Birders (ages 7-18): Choose from several locations to bird, but everyone will meet at the Red Barn first. Young Birders will participate in the official count and venture out to various locations within the park to identify and count birds.
All teams will record and share their findings in a short report during the Tabulation Celebration after a special presentation by The Bird Rescue Center of Sonoma. All children must be accompanied by at least one parent or guardian.
What to Bring
-Warm, variable-weather, layered clothing (waterproof windbreaker or rain jacket, hat, gloves)
-Hat and sunscreen
-Comfortable walking shoes
-Picnic lunch and water for the day
-Extra dry clothes: socks and shoes (optional)
-Bird guides (optional)